News & EventsLatest NewsCalendar
Daisy Hill Match Report

Daisy Hill Match Report

Joshua Chapman11 Mar - 18:14
Share via

Steeton were humbled on home turf once more as the wait for a home win stretched into a six month.

STEETON’s dismal season hit another new low as they were comprehensively beaten at home by fellow mid-table outfit Daisy Hill.

The Chevrons, poor throughout the contest, found themselves three goals behind inside the game’s opening half hour and only mustered one shot on target throughout the contest which came with the last kick of the game.

The performance and result left manager Roy Mason with plenty to ponder in terms of the direction of the club and side as the final five fixtures of this slog of a season loomed large over the coming month.

Beginning the game on the back foot to set the tone for the afternoon ahead, Steeton struggled to get into the contest as the visitors dominated the midfield and continued to push forward.

On the back of creating a couple of half chances, the opening goal soon followed in unfortunate circumstances for the home side.

After working the ball down the left wing, Daisy Hill whipped the ball towards the Steeton penalty spot where James Edgley could not get out of the way in time and turned the ball past James Catlow to break the deadlock.

Edgley redeemed himself shortly after, heading a goal bound effort off the line into the hands of Catlow but it proved nothing more than brief respite for the men in green and white.

A long ball was played forward towards the Steeton box and fell at the feet of Sam Twist.

It proved a case of Twist by name and Twist by nature, as he twisted his way towards the goal and rounded Catlow to finish into the back of an empty net.

Now two goals ahead, a third for Daisy Hill followed just moments later as the Steeton collapse continued in full view of the 80 heartly souls who braved the cold to be in attendance.

After three Daisy players dispossessed Emerson Mitchell on halfway, Jamie Ramwell took hold of the ball and sliced open the Chevrons straight through the middle of the park.

The ball went to the feet of Ryan Talbot, the striker turning on the edge of the area and firing past Catlow from range to make it three with just twenty-six minutes on the clock.

Continuing to turn the screw and push forward, the visitors continued to pressure the Steeton goal and would have found a fourth before the interval if not for both a headed clearance and a block inside the area from Alfie Gibbon.

Making four of the five available substitutions and changing formation, it was one last throw of the dice for Mason, but it did not come off as his side failed to respond and continued to be under the pump in the second half.

The offside flag would thwart a fourth goal for Daisy Hill but that fourth goal would follow just minutes later.

Again, overrunning Steeton in midfield, Alex Dodd sent the ball wide to Talbot.

The striker was forced wide to the edge of the box, but this did not deter Talbot as he fired a superb, angled shot from range across Catlow and the face of the goal.

The ball struck the inside of the post and bounced in to rub further salt into the ever-growing wounds of the home side.

Continuing to create chances to add to their lead, Talbot’s second would prove to be the afternoon’s final score despite the away side squandering two golden opportunities with the goal at their mercy.

Then, in the 95th minute, came Steeton’s only effort on target as Josh McKiernon’s strike was blocked by the onrushing Precieux Ngongo.

STEETON (Subs): Catlow; Westfall; Firth (Hendrikson-Eastwood); Gibbon; Edgley (Baldwin); Gomersall; Acquah (Tewolde); McKiernon; Hudson-Parker (McNally); Coe; Mitchell (Jeffrey)

Further reading